Resort operators should scrutinise and ensure that their workers were registered and possessed valid identity documents, says Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister, Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun.
A directive to the effect was issued yesterday, he said, after the ministry received reports of resort operators employing workers without valid documents.
“Matters such as this should not arise as it was discussed at the meeting with island resort operators early last year. They should know the background of their workers and in the case of foreign workers, they must have valid work passes,” he said yesterday.
The state tourism and culture office being the tourism licensing agency must take action against resort operators who failed to comply with the regulations, he said.
On the kidnap incident involving a female Chinese national and a Filipino at the Singamata Adventures and Reef Resort on Semporna island on Wednesday, Masidi said the focus now was on finding and rescuing the victims.
He refused to comment on the impact of the kidnapping on the tourism industry.
“There is an impact but I hope it is just temporary and we must give enough time to the security forces to locate and rescue the victims.”