- Three directors and one manager were charged in the Subordinate Courts today for failing to pay salaries to their workers as stipulated under the Employment Act (EA). Another director was charged for providing false documents and statements to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).
- MOM initiated investigations on RPM Media Pte Ltd (RPM Media), after the company failed to pay salary arrears owed to its employees despite orders from the Commissioner for Labour. RPM Media was owned by Mr Ong Jeau Leang, who allegedly owed about $35,000 in salary to eight employees. Mr Ong was also the director of Apex Media Pte Ltd, which allegedly owed close to $3,000 in salary to one employee.
- Mr Ong’s wife, Mdm Oi Leng Li, was the director of Eventus Inc Marketing Pte Ltd, which allegedly owed close to $2,500 in salary to one employee. Aside from this, Mdm Oi was also the director of MMX Publishing and Media Boys Pte Ltd. She was convicted of offences related to non-payment of salary in 2012, in her capacity as director of these two companies.Seah Choo Heng and Borhan Bin Saini
- Two other persons, Mr Seah Choo Heng and Mr Borhan Bin Saini, were also charged for failing to pay salaries to their employees.
- In a separate case, a director of OTS Cleaning Pte Ltd, Mr Sam Oh Tiong Li, has been charged with furnishing false documents and providing false statements to a MOM investigating officer. The offences allegedly took place during investigations after MOM conducted a proactive inspection of the employment conditions in OTS Cleaning Pte Ltd.Employers should ensure they do it right
- Employers have the legal responsibility and moral obligation to ensure that employees’ salaries are paid on time. They must also be familiar with their obligations under Singapore’s employment laws, including the EA, Employment of Foreign Manpower Act and Central Provident Fund Act.
Read more HR NEWS in ASIA
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)