A positive leader can maximise results and maintain a culture that creates a strong brand, visible at all points of contact for a business. Excellent leadership capabilities at the top translate to a firm being able to manage teams effectively and encourage a resourceful and efficient team.
Here’s a list of ‘must haves’ compiled for business leaders and organisations alike to successfully master the art of leadership.
- Know your people –The first step to becoming an effective leader is to understand those who are being led. Who are they? Who makes up their family unit? What motivates them to produce sustainable results? By understanding each person as an individual it offers an additional resource on maximising results. It is a key to understand that each individual has unique motivators.
- Take interest in their needs – Building a positive working relationship includes understanding their personal circumstances. Uncovering any personal issues can help resolve misunderstandings or conflicts and assist in removing any distractions that could affect their productivity.
- Listen to their wants and desires – By taking time to assist individuals in achieving their goals, it will encourage their desire to achieve company goals. Make it a joint mission and it will soon become a desirable one for all.
See: Thoughts on the Changing Face of Leadership in a Fast-Paced Globalised World: Exclusive Interview with Bill Pasmore
- Be their preeminent point of contact – Be accountable in the vision. It is important to deliver and surpass expectations to create a strong company culture.
- Create influence through emotional connection – To establish a connection, there needs to be a two-way dialogue. By assisting an individual personally, it creates a loyal bond. This bond helps make delegation easier and assists in effective leadership ability.
- Treat them as individuals –Understanding a team is made up of a group of individuals, which will assist in producing exceptional results from each person. It is important to reward individually regardless of the group goals. This will further showcase understanding and appreciation from the employer towards employee contributions, to drive future projects to success.
Successful business leaders always take time to build strong relationships with their colleagues, co-workers, members in the team and also with each customer they interact with to provide a unique and highly personalised experience.
By going the extra mile to develop these relationships, business leaders demonstrate exceptional commitments towards their job role, thus driving more business and generating RoI to extend market reach into new territories and globalise their brand footprint across markets.
“As a new leader, it’s all too easy to slip unconsciously into poor behaviours without realising it,” says Christine Wright, Operations Director of Hays.
“Leaders are often surrounded by ‘yes’ people who tell you what you want to hear. So seek out appraisals from trusted contacts inside and outside the business who will talk to you honestly. This will keep you grounded as they will point out objectively what’s happening, what’s going wrong and whether you are part of the problem. 360-degree appraisals can also provide feedback on how your team members feel they are led.”
An effective leader helps create positive environment at work that encourages and motivates individuals to be successful, as well as fosters collaborative spirit towards developing excellent working relationships.
Also read: Roadblocks to Women Leadership in Asia: “This is not a ‘women’s issue’, but a business issue and men are critical to making progress,” Nick Marsh Opines
Image credit: savantas.org
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)