Guide to Employment Visa for Foreign Workers in Indonesia

March 9, 20204:50 pm2006 views
Guide to Employment Visa for Foreign Workers in Indonesia
Guide to Employment Visa for Foreign Workers in Indonesia

Indonesia’s Ministry of Labour issues new regulations regarding job opening for foreign workers. The new regulation is written under Regulation No.228 of 2019, defining types of job positions foreign employees can hold in Indonesia. The new regulations widen the number of positions open to expatriate workers with more than 2,000 jobs titles across 18 sectors can now be filled by expatriates. The sectors with the highest number of positions open to foreign workers are construction, information technology, mining, and education. 

The country’s Ministry of Manpower cited that the new regulation is aimed to fill out scarce professional talents needed for the positions. In addition, the new amendments are enforced in helping managers and professionals create a more diverse workplace which hopefully could boost employee development, thus, creating a more creative environment to work. 

When an employer needs to hire foreign workers, they should help these employees gain employment visa. Employment visa will enable foreign workers to work and live in Indonesia within specified time. 

Indonesia employment visa

There are two types of employment visa available for foreign employees planning to woVisark and live in Indonesia, namely ITAS (Izin Tinggal Terbatas) and KITAP (Kartu Izin Tinggal Tetap). 

  • ITAS (Izin Tinggal Terbatas) 

ITAS is a limited stay permit issued by the Indonesia Immigration Directorate General through the local immigration office. To gain ITAS, foreign employees need to have a VITAS (Visa Izin Tinggal Terbatas) first. VITAS is the limited stay permit visa. 

  • KITAP (Kartu Izin Tinggal Tetap) 

KITAP is a permanent stay permit that is available for application to only those foreigners who have held ITAS for a minimum of three consecutive years. KITAP can also be obtained for foreigners who have Indonesian spouses, foreigners investors, directors, or commissioners in an Indonesian Company, and foreigners wanting to retire in Indonesia. KITAP is also available for Indonesians regaining their citizenship. In addition, KITAP is valid for five years, after five years, there won’t be changes to the status of expat. Expatriates should only apply to get a new card. 

See also: Is International Assignment Great for Your Professional Career?

How to get employment visas 

The procedure of gaining employment visa in Indonesia is rather complicated and can only be carried out by an employer on behalf of their foreign employee. The procedures are as follows: 

  • Seek government approval and submit an Expatriate Placement Plan (RPTKA) 

This request is made in the form of a letter of announcement of employment contract agreement letter from the Indonesia Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM). After that, an employer must submit RPTKA to the Ministry of Manpower. After being approved by MOM Indonesia, the employer will get ITAS for his foreign employee. 

You’ll need the following documents for obtaining RPTKA. 

  1. RPTKA application form
  2. A letter detailing reasons for hiring a foreign national, and his/her role in the company
  3. A copy of the company’s act
  4. Standard company documents, tax number (NPWP), and business license letter (SIUP)
  5. Recommendation from another institution for a certain type of company such as Oil and Gas, mining and transportation
  6. Copy of an annual report to the labour department stating the number of expats and local workers employed in the company 
  7. Company organisation structure 
  8. A copy of Indonesia ID card of an Indonesia work colleague
  • Report to MOM and obtain IMTA 

After getting RPTKA approval, an employer must submit an application for IMTA (Izin Menggunakan Tenaga Kerja Asing) and foreign candidate’s data information on aspects such as gender, nationality, place and date of birth, passport number, passport validity, position and period of work, education certificate, and certificate of work experience to Ministry of Manpower. 

You’ll need the following documents to gain IMTA. 

  1. RPTKA approval 
  2. Letter of recommendation from a technical ministry, if applicable
  3. A copy of expat’s passport
  4. Proof of education relevant to the position the expat will work 
  5. A certificate of competence or work experience of at least five years in a position relevant to the position 
  6. A statement from the expat agreeing to transfer his/her knowledge to Indoensian counterparts
  7. A copy of the employment agreement of the Indonesian colleague 
  8. An NPWP, if expat is working longer than six months 
  9. An insurance policy issued by an insurance company in Indonesia 
  10. A national social security policy, if working in Indonesia longer than six months
  11. Receipt of DKP-TKA payments (US$1,200 a year
  12. Two coloured photographs
  • Apply for Limited Stay Visa (VITAS) and Limited Stay Permit (ITAS) 

Foreign workers will be granted a multiple re-entry permit to Indonesia with a validity period equivalent to the ITAS. The amount of money you need to gain ITAS is between USD1,000 and USD1,200. Document required is as follows: 

  1. A copy of RPTKA 
  2. A copy of KTP of the sponsor (Domicile in Bali) 
  3. A copy of KTP of a local employee working for the same company 
  4. An NPWP 
  5. Business licence 
  6. SPPMA from BKPM 
  7. TDP (company’s registration letter) 
  8. Company’s letter of domicile 
  9. Wajib Lapor 
  10. SITU & HO, letter of approval for a place of business and permits 
  11. The legalisation of deed establishments by the Department of Justice 
  12. Blank letterhead of the company and company stamp 

You’ll need your foreign workers to prepare the following documents: 

  1. Colour copy of passport with validity of at least 18 months 
  2. Colour copy of curriculum vitae stamped by the company and signed by the director on a stamp 
  3. Colour scan of university certificate or highest education degree in English of Bahasa Indonesia, stamped by the company and signed by the director on a stamp
  4. Work certificate with minimum of 5 years of experience 
  5. Health insurance and coloured photographs
  • Apply for a KITAS Card and Blue Foreigner’s Registration Book 

After you obtained all the above permits, KITAS Card and Blue Foreigner’s Registration Book will be given which will grant a stay up to two years and can be extended for up to two years each time with a maximum stay of six years. 

Employers are advised to seek professional guidance or advice before applying for employment permits. As per new updates, prospective applicants might refer to the Indonesian Ministry of Law and Human Rights (MOLHR) Number 16 of 2018, which come into effect from July 27, 2018. 

Read also: Why Does Employment Quality in Asia-Pacific Remain Poor?

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)