Public feedback wanted on construction workers’ safety

November 10, 201410:53 am896 views
Public feedback wanted on construction workers’ safety
Public feedback wanted on construction workers' safety

SINGAPORE: The Manpower Ministry will launch a public consultation exercise next week, on an upcoming mandatory framework that will incorporate the safety of construction workers into building plans.

Manpower Minister Tan Chuan-Jin said the Design for Safety framework will require developers to address work-related risks and hazards. He said eliminating such hazards at the design and planning phase will lead to fewer risks to deal with during the construction and maintenance stage. Mr Tan added that his ministry had already conducted industry consultations.

Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam had said in May that the regulatory requirements and timeframe for its implementation will be announced by end of this year.

Mr Tan was speaking at the annual 5-Star Environmental, Health and Safety Awards organised by City Developments on Saturday (Nov 8). The awards recognise builders and workers for upholding safety, health and well-being standards at the workplace.

City Developments also announced that its two new worksites, which will house workers’ quarters, will soon get computers and free WiFi. Over 500 workers will benefit from this when the worksites are built by next year.

“Construction workers are the foundation and unsung heroes of our building industry,” said Allen Ang, head of innovation and green building at City Developments. “We would like to recognise their contributions and further strengthen our efforts to promote their well-being holistically. Ultimately, we want our workers to return home to their families safe and healthy.”

 

news source & image credit: channelnewsasia.com

Read more HR NEWS in ASIA

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)